Sunday 17 May 2009

The internet set me free - A girl's story

I have spent alot of time thinking about the benefits of this blog and whether I am just jumping blindfolded on to the bandwagon. I mean, I'm on twitter for goodness sake. Then I read this:

http://www.spring.org.uk/2009/02/social-networking-increases-cancer-risk.php


In this article, the writer discusses a Daily Mail piece that suggest that social networking cause cancer. You may laugh but this was the Daily Mail. It is never difficult to disagree with the Daily Mail so I shouldn't have much trouble here.

I have felt notably more intelligent since signing up to this endless amazing tools the internet is providing. Yes, it can sound intelligent to be flippant towards it all and shrug it off as a passing trend but I am finally feeling free to write.

And for someone who has aspirations to be writing that it is a bloody good thing... Creating this identity for myself and writing from behind it, is allowing me to publish a version of myself to public for their acceptance or otherwise without leaving myself open. I feel free to write.

And the scope for reading, I have read more in the past two weeks than I have read in the past few years using Delicious, Google Reader and Daily Lit. I feel more intelligent and equipped to understand the world.

For someone with an addictive personality, who can get caught up and obsessed with negative habits, to find another 'addiction' that actually sets me free rather than trap me, is a pretty life-changing thing.

I might try for another sensationalist headline:

Web 2.0 changes in technology saves girl's life.

Bit much...but I think the Daily Mail will like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment